One of the reasons why it is so important that a great amount of thought go into the push gift you buy is because there is a good chance that it may become an heirloom. The right gift will get passed down from one generation to the next, so before you simply buy a pair of diamond earrings because they are safe, you may want to consider a piece a little more personal that will mean something special to the grandchildren of your great grandchildren.
- Eternity Band – Although simple in style, these rings are quite elegant. Some are a simple band with engraving while others feature either the baby’s birthstone or a combination of the baby and mother’s birthstone. Sometimes, there are two or three bands intertwined together with birthstones on one and engraving on the other.
- Locket – There is something very special about lockets. It does not matter if there’s a picture kept inside or a small piece of hair, or if it hangs from a necklace or a bracelet, these make wonderful heirlooms.
- Cameo Brooch – If your significant other prefers antique and vintage items over the current trends, a cameo brooch may be the perfect gift. These are also ideal heirlooms because they are classic pieces of jewelry. Don’t think you will get off cheap though, many of these vintage items cost a pretty penny. Cameos feature carved stone or seashells; sometimes a combination of the two.
- Pearls – Decades ago, every woman had a strand of pearls. Then, no one was seen wearing them for a long time. Today they are making a fierce comeback, and their price is reflective. A quality strand of pearls, a pearl ring or earrings is timeless.
- Family Tree – If you plan far enough in advance, you can always have a family tree print, plate, sculpture, canvas, blanket, etc. made. It is a good idea to make sure you are 100 percent set on a name before having a tree made that includes the baby.
- Silver Rattle – There is something very special about an engraved silver rattle. This is typically a gift that simply gets put on display and one that is perfect to pass down through the generations when a new baby arrives.
- Antique Barrette – Like the cameo brooch, it takes a special woman to appreciate an antique barrette as a push gift. If you are going to get an antique, make sure that it is indeed an antique and not a new barrette made to look aged; there is a huge difference.